Collage by Diane Schoemperlen: “July” from her perpetual calendar.
When: Friday, September 6 (noon) to Sunday, September 8 (3 p.m.) Where: Sandy Lake; near Buckhorn, under 2 hours drive from Toronto
Instructors: ALLYSON LATTA, writer and literary editor and HEATHER GENTLEMAN, artist, Hag Atelier in Toronto’s Distillery Historic District
Special guest: DIANE SCHOEMPERLEN, author and collage artist, Kingston (author page; collages)
Writer Allyson Latta and I will collaborate with retreat facilitator Janet Markham to present a unique weekend of creativity: writing and art workshops — suitable for beginners — inspired by Allsyon’s Seven Treasures memoir series.
You’ll be charmed by the venue, a bright, well-appointed 10-bedroom lakefront property with separate art studio.
Your weekend will feature workshops to spark your imagination; lively discussion with a small group of fellow participants, instructors, and our guest speaker; and quiet time for writing or contemplation in one of many cozy spots, whether you prefer an overstuffed chair by a window or a bench-swing by the shore.
- private room with queen bed (shared baths)
- 7 delicious meals, plus snacks and non-alcoholic beverages
- 3 writing workshops with handouts
- 3 collage workshops in the newly renovated studio with lake view
- evening reading salons (you can read, or simply listen) and discussions
- talk by guest speaker Diane Schoemperlen; more about her collages here
- basic tutorial on how to self-publish a book, for yourself or others, based on what you create over the weekend
- free Wi-Fi
Nurture your imagination in tranquil natural surroundings and enjoy views of one of Ontario’s few turquoise lakes from cottage, deck, dock, hammock, kayak, or pedal-boat. (There will also be swimming or hot-tubbing, weather permitting.)
Fee (including art supplies):
$599 per person (single)
$499 per person (shared). Note: One bedroom offers twin beds.
Registration: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire or apply.
- Retreat is limited to 8 participants.
- Two rooms are on the third floor and may not be suitable for guests with mobility limitations.
- Alcoholic beverages are not included in the fee. Beverages such as milk, juice, coffee, and tea will be available.
- Art supplies will be provided. We’ll also send registrants a list of suggested items to bring from home to incorporate into their collages.
– See more at: http://www.allysonlatta.ca/2013/06/24/september-retreat-in-kawartha-lakes-combines-memoir-collage/#sthash.hAv1esRs.dpuf